Lucky competition winners ready to jet off around the world as Manchester Airport celebrates 85 years
- 85 lucky winners scoop prizes worth over £20,000 in Manchester Airport’s 85th birthday competition
- Top prizes include a trip to Las Vegas, flights to destinations all over the world with airlines including Singapore Airlines, KLM, Air Transat, Emirates, Hainan Airlines and others
- Other prizes include duty free vouchers, meals out, goody bags and more
Manchester Airport has given away 85 prizes worth more than £20,000 as it continues to celebrate its 85th birthday this year.
Among the winners is Andrew Taylor who has been given a three-night stay at Las Vegas Strip Hotel and two tickets to Cirque du Soleil provided by Las Vegas Tourist Board and a £1,500 travel voucher from Manchester Airports Group (MAG).
Andrew, who lives in Middleton, north Manchester, said:
“As an aeroplane aficionado from a very early age, I first visited Manchester Airport in 1983 to watch my uncle take off to Naples.
“Shortly after this visit, I flew to Ibiza on my very first flight, and since then have been fortunate enough to travel far and wide for both business and pleasure. The vast majority of these trips have begun at Manchester, a place I am proud to call my local airport.
“As Manchester Airport celebrates its 85th anniversary, it seems fitting that I can win this fantastic prize to celebrate my 40th anniversary of flying around the world from Manchester. And what better place to celebrate a special anniversary than the party capital of Las Vegas.
“I am absolutely thrilled to have won this prize and cannot wait to get airborne from Manchester once again, for what should be a wonderful experience in the entertainment capital of the world.”
Other winners included:
- David Kenny who won two tickets to anywhere on KLM’s network via Amsterdam
- Alec Broughton who has won a choice of flights to the Seychelles, Mombasa or Zanzibar with Ethiopian Airlines
- Melanie Whiteside who won tickets to Beijing with Hainan Airlines
- John Tootell who won tickets to Istanbul with Turkish Airlines
- Mark Syddall who will fly to Houston with Singapore Airlines
- Stuart Sharples who won tickets to Toronto with Air Transat
- Nick Calvert who will go to Paris with Air France
- Neil Sturrock who won tickets to Dubai with Emirates
The competition launched on Monday, 26 June – the day after the airport’s official birthday – and the winners were drawn as part of the celebrations for Manchester Day, which the airport sponsored, on Saturday, 29 July.
Manchester Airport Managing Director Chris Woodroofe said:
“We are really proud to have been connecting this region to the rest of the world for 85 years as the UK’s global gateway in the North.
“One of the special things about international travel is making memories and it gives us great pleasure to be able to play a part in that for millions of passengers every year. The winners in our competition are getting prizes that we hope they will remember for the rest of their lives so it’s fantastic to have been able to work with our partners to do that.
“We wish all the winners the very best on their travels.”
Other prizes awarded to entrants included VIP tours of the Runway Visitor Park, including tours of Concorde, food and drink vouchers, airport lounge passes, duty free vouchers, travel currency and goody bags containing vouchers, gifts and more.