Some handy facts about Manchester Airport
- MAG, the UK’s leading airport operator, serves over 58 million passengers through its ownership of Manchester, London Stansted and East Midlands.
- Manchester is the UK’s third largest airport, handling more than 27 million passengers a year.
- Opened in June 1938
- More than 70 airlines offer direct flights from Manchester to over 210 destinations worldwide.
- Manchester Airport is one of the largest centres of employment in the North West with more than 22,200 people directly employed on site supporting a further 45,000 jobs in the North West of England.
- In 2016/17 there were 196,596 passenger flights at Manchester Airport
- Manchester Airport voted Best UK Airport three years running at the Globe Travel Awards.
- New routes for 2016/17 include Beijing, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston, Muscat, Phuket, Mauritius, Houston and Nuremberg
- Has two runways, three terminals, 42 air bridges, 254 check-in desks, more than 500 toilets and 940 information screens
- Home to over 120 shops and restaurants, as well as seven hotels
- Passengers drink an average of one million pints of beer, eat 300,000 breakfasts and more than 3 million hot drinks every year
- More than 1.5 million bottles of water, 40,000 bottles of champagne, 1.8 million books and over a million packs of cigarettes are bought by passengers every year in the Airport’s shops
- Manchester Airport currently handles over 117,000 tonnes of cargo each year.
- 22 million people live within two hours of Manchester Airport
- The top 10 destinations from Manchester are: Dubai, Dublin, Amsterdam, Tenerife, Palma, Alicante, Malaga, Paris CDG, Orlando, Abu Dhabi.
- The airport’s operational area extends to 800 hectares, equivalent to over 72 Wembley Stadium’s, between 960 and 1280 football pitches (a hectare is between 1.2 and 1.6 football pitches), and Buckingham Palace and gardens almost 34 times over.
- Length of runways: 3200m and 3048m long
- Runway Visitor Park on site is one of the top ten attractions in Greater Manchester